Under Ethiopian law (proclamation no.95/2015) to authenticate a document means “to sign and affix a seal by witnessing the signing of a new document by the person who has prepared such document or the person it concern and after ascertaining that this formality is fulfilled; or to sign and affix a seal on an already signed document by ascertaining its authenticity through an affidavit or specimen signature and/or seal”.
This section is to request document authentication service by signing and affixing a seal on documents which are already issued in the United States of America or Ethiopia.
Please review Power of Attorney section to request document authentication service by signing a new document (power of attorney or revocation, contractual agreement, will, minute of a meeting, Memorandum of Association, Article of Association, declaration or any other similar) in in front of a Consular Officer at the Consulate.
Document Authentication Requirements
- Documents issued in the United States of America must be authenticated by the Department of State in Washington DC. For further information please review State Department website (See).
- Documents issued in Ethiopia must be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia.
- A duly completed and signed application form (Click here to download the form).
- A copy of valid Ethiopian Passport and Green Card or work permit and for non-residents I-94
- A copy of Foreign passport or Ethiopian origin ID
Document Authentication by mail
- When you request document authentication service by mail review the above requirements and include one self-addressed prepaid envelope that has tracking number for return of your document.
- For Academic or Professional Certificate or Diploma or any vital events documents (Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, or Single Status or no record of marriage) or trademark, property rights, court decisions, driving license or any other document Power
$59.00 per document for holders of valid Ethiopian Passport or Ethiopian Origin ID
$90.00 per document for holders of Foreign Passport
- For power of attorney or revocation, contractual agreement, will, minute of a meeting, Memorandum of Association, Article of Association, declaration or any other similar document.
$62.00 per document for holders of valid Ethiopian Passport or Ethiopian Origin ID
$95.00 per document for holders of Foreign Passport
- Service fees must only be made by money order or casher check payable to Consulate of Ethiopia
- Walk-in service processing time is approximately 20 minutes.
- Mail-in service processing time is approximately 2 business days from the date of receipt by the consulate.